So as some of you know, I just finished my fall semester, and one of the classes I took was a CG Character Production class, where we had to create a humaniod creature from scratch. I decided to show the process of how I went about creating mine!
Step 1: The Design
To begin, we had create drawings of the creature concept in three views, from the front, side and back:
as an added bonus, I drew some concept ideas of what I wanted:
Step 2: Clay Model
The next step was to create a clay model of our character. This is where I fell flat the most. I’m more of a pen and paper artist, and usually cannot afford the materials for stuff like paint or clay, so this was, in essence, one of my first serious ever clay models, needless to say it didn’t turn out well:
Moral of the story: when making clay sculptures, don’t be an idiot and use support.
Step 3: The CG Model
For the next step we were to create the 3d model for the character. I started with the head:
While most of the other class was using Maya, I decided to work in Blender, mainly because it is the program I know best. While most of the group were making their models using reference pictures and blocking them out, I went a different route. I used the 3D sculpting tool and my tablet to design my model. The ironic thing is, that was more like working with clay. I guess the difference is you can’t ctrl+z clay. So I created my 3d model:
Step 4: Textures
Next was the texturing, which I will admit, I am not the best with color, but I decided to edit the coloring for the clothing a bit.
Step 5: Rigging
Rigging is when you attach a 3d model, like above to a rig, or a series of bones you use to make it move. This was a difficult process of making sure all the bones move in the correct directions, and can look a bit intimidating when the whole rig is finished:
The bones allows my model to be posed and move, so I could use it in animation, or games, if I chose to do so. Here are some rendered poses for my model:
As you can see, I had to change some things for my original character design, mainly due to time constraints and laziness. First I removed the “dreadlocks” of the model. originally I wanted them to move with the force of gravity, but some setbacks made me set that idea aside. I also scrapped the tech I was going to give “her” ( I guess it’s a she, it does look feminine for an alien creature) for the same reason.
All in all I’m happy with this model. This was my first seriously made CG model, and I learned a shit load while doing it. I can’t recommend learning this, if not for the experience and watching something you make from scratch come to life. It is a truly interesting adventure.
Powered by WPeMatico